Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bug in aligning Points

Bug in aligning Points 4 months 4 days ago #5167

• SNGSC6
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I do use the align option quite a lot.
However, in some cases the function is not reacting as expected.

Aligning three points in a row goes fine, when the purpose is to move the middle point of the row.
In lots of cases it is also possible to align three points, where one of the outer points needs to be moved.

In some cases, the system is reacting different as expected:
As an example see attachment; figure one shows the points which I do want to align. I did select the points by first bottom one, then the top one, and last the middle one. (See figure-1 in attachment).

After aligning the 'X' value only, the result is as per Figure-2; putting the top position in the middle of the other 2 values, while I would expect, that the value would be extrapolated.

Bug, or undocumented feature?!?!?
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bug in aligning Points 4 months 2 days ago #5168

• jayoh
  • Expert Boarder
  • Shipwright Boatbuilder
  • Thank you received: 1
Its a bit difficult to see exactly what you are doing from the images. The align function aligns points between the first point selected and the last point selected.

However, you could use the Copy function to acheive the desired result.

I hope this helps a little.

Bug in aligning Points 4 months 1 day ago #5170

• SNGSC6
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reaction, but indeed that is how it should work.

However in lots of cases it will also work with one point (or more) selected outside the first and the last selected. It will put the points into one line.
In some cases however, it will not align the outer point to get it into one straight line.

The option you did mention (copy) works fine when the point are in a straight 'X', 'Y' or 'Z' direction only, but not when the straight line is a combination of 2 or 3 of the 'X', 'Y' or 'Z' directions.

Bug in aligning Points 3 months 4 weeks ago #5172

• Maarten
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi SNGSC6,

We use the align function a lot, and while it is sometimes tricky to understand what it will do (3D alignment can be unintuitive) I have not yet found a bug. Maybe you can mail me a more detailed description (if necessary including a model) so I can reproduce your finding?
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds