Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exporting Sections

Exporting Sections 3 months 1 week ago #4979

• Will
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I have drawn a small boat with a single chine that blends out near the bow. I would now like to get the sections cut so that I may make a plug and build it. I figured the way to do this was to export to Rhino, so that I can apply an offset to the sections the thickness of the battens.

However, if I export as dxf lines, the sections lose some of their fairness as the lines are made up of hundreds of segments. If I export as iges and then put sections through the hull, those sections are also created as a poly line with lots of segments.

How can I get some nice fair sections cut, where the section size accounts for the thickness of the battens that will be placed on them to make the plug?

Many thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Exporting Sections 3 months 1 week ago #4980

• marven
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 64
Hi Will,

When exporting to DXF, make sure to use one of the later dxf versions, but not R12.
DXF R 12 automatically converts all spline curves to polylines as Autocad R12 did not support splines. The polylines are simply lot of (connected) smaller straight line segments. Splines are smooth curves through the original points, which is what you want.
Both later versions of DXF and the IGES curves export however should give you smooth curves.

Exporting Sections 3 months 1 week ago #4981

• Will
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Marven,

Am I being stupid, but I don't see where/how to make a choice on the dxf version type to export as?

Exporting Sections 3 months 1 week ago #4982

• marven
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 64
There should be a dropdown list at the bottom of the window where you specify the file name. The drop-down list is labeled 'Save as type'

Exporting Sections 3 months 1 week ago #4983

• Will
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you!
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds