Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Quick check - Is Delftship right for me?

Quick check - Is Delftship right for me? 2 years 8 months ago #4531

• idaho
  • Fresh Boarder
I currently use another popular 3D CAD system for boat design - but hydrostatics and hydrodynamics are not included and require several thousand dollars to buy from a third party vendor. I am considering Delftship... My techniques are as follows, and I was wondering if someone could just give me a yes or no on whether Delftship does these things or not - and if in free or pro versions:

1. Hydrostatics, even keel.

2. Hydrodynamics / stability analysis for planing hulls (given a center of gravity and 3D hull form)

3. Ability to unroll developable panels into flat sheets from which I can take dimensions / create cut diagrams

4. I generally form chine lines in 3D space by drawing a side view (keel etc) and top view curve, then use a command that creates a line where surfaces through these two curves intersect. If that cannot be done, then can I create my own two surfaces by extruding from the curves and then extract the curve along the intersection between the two surfaces?

5. Fairing and rebuilding curves - Ability to fair curves and to rebuild to a selected degree?

Thanks,
Brian
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Quick check - Is Delftship right for me? 2 years 8 months ago #4536

• denisp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Idaho,
Most of my career was designing planning hulls using developable hull shapes as the boats were build in aluminium alloy and stretching or shrinking plates was a not on. When working pre 1980's my designs were done by hydro-conic projection, pretty long winded and full on concentration.

Later on the early computer ship design programs allowed similar work to be done with ruling lines between any two longitudinal curves. This I think is what you are doing with your cad program.

DELFTship is much more advanced than that, it can do similar, from either imported longitudinal curves which signify plate edges, or by building from scratch.
These days I design only two or three times a year. I still have problems sometimes basing my work on my old designs and converting to DELFTship, but that is my technical weakness not the program's I think. Must use the program more to improve my skills.

Hydrostatics and fairing are includes in the program, but if you want full stability analysis you will need to purchase an extension for the program.

I suggest you load the free program for modelling and see how it works.

Denis
The following user(s) said Thank You: idaho

Quick check - Is Delftship right for me? 2 years 8 months ago #4537

• idaho
  • Fresh Boarder
Sounds good. I could possibly develop my construction lines in the other s/w, then import them into DELFTship ...we'll see. I downloaded the free version, will watch a tutorial or three, and give it a go... the hydrodynamics is a big deal, especially for higher speed hulls. I'll look into extensions for that... Doing it with my current s/w will cost over $3k, money that I haven't got at the moment.

bd

Quick check - Is Delftship right for me? 2 years 8 months ago #4538

• denisp
  • Junior Boarder
Idaho,
What do you mean by "higher speed hulls"?
Denis

Quick check - Is Delftship right for me? 2 years 8 months ago #4539

• idaho
  • Fresh Boarder
Fast planing hulls, say boat's designed for over 40 knots or so.

Brian

Quick check - Is Delftship right for me? 2 years 8 months ago #4540

• denisp
  • Junior Boarder
Brian,

Developable plate planning-hull designs by myself for my building company were in the main slightly slower than that, mostly used for sea which can get rather lumpy.

Basically the commercial builds were a question of ensuring no injuries to passengers or crew and not having to hang on in seaways without injuring themselves. So slower speed was the norm.

After seeing how the boats were used, I found that no matter what top speed was available, most use was below 25 knots.

After a while owners and operators keep eye on fuel consumption and for sure, carrying large quantities of fuel to cope with speed and engine thirst is contrary to high speed design in any case.

Saying that though, we did design and build a number of high speed interceptors at 52 knot top speed for Asian border security services and a larger number at 40 plus knots for water police, but they were for special purposes.

Normally for commercial use and search and rescue 30 knots tops was fine, most sport sea fishing boats we built were similarly powered.

Never designed a boat for high speed from scratch, found it best to develop a few from proven designs I had built earlier.

Great fun testing full speed hard over turning at 50 plus knots when the design has never been there before.

Denis
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds