Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: leak points again

leak points again 1 week 5 days ago #5605

• jaytee
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all

I am having a lot of problems with leak points at intersections between the hull and transverse bulkheads, including the transom. The transom was extruded from one side, then points adjusted so that it was across the stern and to the bottom. Every one of the points along the bottom is a leak point. Repeated attempts to convince DELFTship that point (0.0000, 1.2600, 0.8450) in the hull bottom corresponds to point (0.0000, 1.2600, 0.8450) in the transom correspond have failed. Ditto all the other points at the bottom/transom interface. Ditto if the transom is extruded from the bottom and then linked at the sides. Ditto if the transom is on a different layer.

In a previous post (which I cannot now find) Maartin suggested selecting a point, moving it to separate it from the identical (second) point, then repositioning it precisely on the second point. Been there/done that. Many attempts - no successes.

Any advice pls. I am using Free version 10.20 (311)

Jaytee
The administrator has disabled public write access.

leak points again 1 week 4 days ago #5606

• Jet28
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Jaytee, I think you have to extrude from the bottom of the hull , not from the side. Leak points are from the water line down are they not?

leak points again 1 week 4 days ago #5607

• jaytee
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Jet28, but I have already tried that

" Ditto if the transom is extruded from the bottom and then linked at the sides."

Certes the bottom leak points are closed, but the problem then is leak points on the ship side / transom interface.

leak points again 1 week 18 hours ago #5609

• Icare
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Jaytee!

I don't know how you work, but the transom must be drawn by extrusion from the bottom AND the side at once. This way you'll be sure it will be connected to both surfaces (Same process concerning the deck: extrude it from the side and the transom at once). For the transom, select the whole aft edge of the ship, extrude it upward and inward at once, then remove a few of points (the angles), eventually a few of vertice, them move the new edge's points to their final position.

Concerning the superposed points: As a beginner, avoid using them. They can only put you in trouble because you'll never know which one you'll be using. I use them as seldom as possible. Anyway, I use them to connect two tengent surfaces and, if these surfaces are used for the hydrostatics calculations THESE SUPPERPOSED POINTS MUST BE CONNECTED BY A THIRD SURFACE, even if it won't be really seem. Consider this third surface as putty. ;)
If you really need to use them, draw them besides their final position (say 10 cm on a small ship), check for the leaking points (by using the CHECK MODEL button), and once you're really sure, move the points to their final position.

Concerning the bulkheads (and any inner detail), think of unchecking the "Used for hydrostatics calculations" checkbox in the layers' dialogue window, because, these surfaces won't be wet... theoricaly... ;) Delftships doesn't like edges and prefers closed volumes.

I hope this will help you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaytee

leak points again 1 week 4 hours ago #5610

• jaytee
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Icare

Thanks very much. A little advice goes a long way. Not only will I be able to have a waterproof "hull", but, and I see now how to make the WTBs seal to the hull also.

Jaytee

btw, pretty sure Icarus did not have a couple of turbo jets when he fell. Still, they would explain why the wax melted. JT

leak points again 6 days 18 hours ago #5611

• Icare
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
I didn't forgot how I've been helped when I arrived on this forum. So now, I share my knowledge. It's my way to thank the community. ;)
...and it allows me to be considered as the-man-who-knows. :whistle:

Concerning Icarus problem, I already imagined a solution to help him completing his travel: B)
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds