Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull?

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 2 weeks ago #5530

• Hirnsausen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I am creating with POV-Ray an 1850s Mississippi paddle-wheel steamboat, but I am not able with POV-Ray to create a well-shaped hull.

Has anyone here ever created such a hull?
Thanks a lot for your reading, time, good will and advises!
- Hirnsausen -
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 2 weeks ago #5531

• Icare
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Do you mean your ship has nothing below the main deck?!? I didn't noticed it at first sight. I even thought the first picture was a photograph!

I didn't use POV-Ray for more than one decade, so I don't know what it can do by now.
Can't you extrude (extend) the main deck's edge downward and slightly inward to make the hull? I asume the flat bottom isn't necessary (not seen).

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 2 weeks ago #5532

• Hirnsausen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, thanks for your answer. What I can do, is to give the details of the hull I need.

I created a POV-Ray hull, but that doesn't look good as it is very difficult for me to create complex rounded surfaces. Delft is better, but I am just learning how to use it. That's why I could need assistance with the hull. See the two attached images. The hull should be fairly easy to be created with Delft, i hope (I am just a beginner however). The illustration shows the dimensions, and the photo shows the detail curving of the bow area.

Hull.jpg
gdIMG_1494.jpg
- Hirnsausen -

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 2 weeks ago #5539

• Icare
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Hirnsausen!

I quickly drew a hull according to the measurements you gave. For a 0.76m draught, the ship's weight must be 3000 tons (in fresh water). Does it fit with your data?

But...
1. I ain't sure it's possible to import and use it in POV-Ray.
2. The bow looks odd on the plan view. Are you sure the bend doesn't occupy more than 10m?
3. Isn't there any little vertical transom, say the paddle wheels' supports thickness? A drew one (0.5m).
4. I slightly raised the stem bottom, thus any floating obstacle (a stump for example) would sink instead of being pushed.
5. I drew the hull's outer surface only. Do you need the inner surface, too?
Attachments:

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 2 weeks ago #5540

• Hirnsausen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, you have a great spirit! I appreciate your help a lot. Big thanks!

The part of the hull that is below water (draught?) is 1.50m. Or does "draught" mean the part of the hull that is above the water?

1. If you can save it as a common 3D mesh format, I can use Blender to export it into a POV-Ray mesh.
2. "Bend" means half width? Yes, the hull is 20m wide.
3. I also don't know the meaning of the word "transom". I am not a native English speaker. For now, I owe you the answer.
4. Let me see, then I get a proper idea of what you created.
5. Fine with me, I can later on create the inside hollowness by myself.
- Hirnsausen -

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 2 weeks ago #5541

• Hirnsausen
  • Fresh Boarder
Oh, just discovered your attachments right now.

2. You can make it to 15 meters. The deck there has a circular front, the upper part of the front hull should rounded the same way. The waterline part of the front hull can have a bend of 20 meters. I attached an image of the deck shape of another ship.

4. You mean you raised the bow bottom? No, not a good idea, it is stumps that came below the hull that were sinking many ships. Pushing away is better. The bow (front of the hull) should be the same low as the rest of the hull. There is just a small curve between horizontal hull bottom and slightly diagonal prow (front ending of the hull).

tplansidewheelsteamerRobertLee1866.jpg
- Hirnsausen -

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 1 week ago #5556

• Hirnsausen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Icare, are you still there?
- Hirnsausen -

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 1 week ago #5557

• Icare
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Hirnsausen!

I'm back (I don't spend all mi life on the Web ;) )

A few of definitions (well... as far as I understood them, since neither I am a native english speaker):

The draught is the depth of the part below the water. It includes the keel and the ballast. In other words, it's the minimal water depth required for the ship.

The transom is the very far end of the stern (aft part of the ship). It's the place the ship's name is written on. I assume on your steamboat it will be just a flat plank, meanwhile on the "Robert Lee 1866" (the last picture you posted) it's rounded (no paddle wheel on the stern).

So, I rounded the bow and lowered its bottom.

If your satisfied, you can save it as a mesh format:
- Click on the FILE tab;
- Click on EXPORT;
- Choose from the formats offered (PART is used only to copy a part of the drawing from a Delftship model to an other one, for exemple screws, launches, human dummies...).
Attachments:

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 1 week ago #5559

• Hirnsausen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, big thanks and appreciation again! And once more, you did a great work! I really need to find out, how to use Delft.

But the bow (front of the ship) is not correct when seeing it from above: See my attached graphic, it shows how the bow should be when seen from above. It might be, in my previous postings I unintentionally mislead you. And yes, i think you are right - the bending area needs to be a bit more than 10 meters, because the hull is wide. Maybe 15 meters (not too much).

Also, here is one more last change that became necessary because I will continue to work with this hull inside POV-Ray: to make it hollow was my error, it would be better if it could be solid (closed). Can you do that? This way, I can work better with the hull inside POV-Ray.

Can you correct it? I wouldn't mind, if I could correct it by myself, but Delft is not showing me any virtual lines that I could use to adjust - I just really don't know yet, how to use this nice software. For now, maybe it is still faster, if you do the correction. I hope, you don't mind. I don't want to occupy too much of your time. I am sure, there won't be any changes after that. :-)

If you want, I can add your name to the credits of the resulting images, inside the scene file, in regards to the hull. Do you want?
Attachments:
- Hirnsausen -

Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat Hull? 2 months 5 days ago #5565

• Icare
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Hirnausen!

With a few of click, I made a sharp bow.
Version 3:
- Sharp stem;
- closed top (fake deck).

As I was embarked, I drew the main deck.
Version 4:
- added a 25cm thick deck (sharp stem and rounded deck at once);
- raised the bow and stern;
- added a break-water.

Note: The break-water doesn't fit exactly the deck curve. I adjusted it with a 2.5mm precision (maybe better than it was done on real ships) because it's difficult to add details on a curved surface.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds