Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My Latest Boat Build

My Latest Boat Build 10 months 2 weeks ago #5021

I thought I would take the time to share this with everyone. It is the second marsh layout style duckboat I have built using stitch-n-glue construction from my models create in DelftShip. It's lightyears ahead of my first build and has been in use for the last two years.

Here is the design.







The vessel has an LOA of 13' 10" with a 48" bottom and a 60" beam. Dry weight is estimated to be less than 200lbs and powered by a Thai longtail mud motor.

In order to use the panels, I needed them printed on a large format plotter yet didn't have one. At the time (I don't know about current features), DelftShip didn't have the capability to directly output to an eps file file to send off to the printing company. :( I needed them printed in 1:1 scale, but couldn't get several of the more common pdf printer packages to accommodate such large paper settings. I finally found one that did but was a very painful piece of software to use. Once I had my plotted panels, I was able to finally start cutting my core material. I had to tape over the cutting lines to keep the paper from tearing.



My core material is a product called Plascore PP Honeycomb. It's an extremely lightweight, flexible, composite material that when fiberglassed on each side offers extreme strength. One benefit of this core material is that in the event of any type breach in the outer layer, the cells prevent water from penetrating the core. In addition, the cells themselves trap air acting as closed cell floatation.

My layup schedule consisted of kevlar and fiberglass, laminated via epoxy resin. Here are some photos of the construction phase:









One downside to Plascore is that it doesn't offer a finished edge.



I used clear cedar for those areas and marine grade plywood for the transom. Note: the following image actually makes me cringe. :pinch: The colors of the grain make it appear that the top long edge of the nose is wavy when in fact it is not.



The bottom of the hull is coated with gator glide which is extremely slick. However, it is not very durable against sand.



Here are some images of the finished interior.









The starboard rear compartment acts as dry storage while the port side holds my battery and power posts. All of my electrical wiring is done to ABYC standards using tin coated duplex copper wire.







Here is the boat running down Lake Taneycomo.



Finally, this is what the ducks see. I sit back in the little hole under the canopy while hunting.



Hope you've enjoyed my post. :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Latest Boat Build 9 months 4 weeks ago #5043

  • jayoh
  • jayoh's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Shipwright Boatbuilder
  • Posts: 81
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
Interesting construction, looks good and seems to go well. I like the pay off, one of my favourites - Tea Smoked.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum