Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Show me your ships!

Re: Show me your ships! 4 years 6 months ago #3251

• marven
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 64
Nice B)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Show me your ships! 4 years 6 months ago #3256

• iosif
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
mikulasp

I am answering to your question from 1 year and 4 months ago:
Not from Hungary, from Transylvania. Erdey, Nagy Varad korneke, most Baliba elek, beselek nem roszul, irok nem nagyon yol :)
When I am flying home, via Budapest, and 3 hours by car to home.

Iosif

Show me your ships! 4 years 4 months ago #3337

• Jurgen 54
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Spotted a couple of days ago, in a small harbour nearby:
It was a little old wooden beauty, kept in pristine conditions, with obvious pride...

boat.JPG

It'a sketch done by memory, superstructure and rigging are correct; the hull lines are a mere conjecture but I guess, quite proper.
Nice days to ev.
Jurgen.

Show me your ships! 4 years 2 months ago #3407

• Jurgen 54
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hello DelftShippers, or skippers ( the lucky part of you ).
Since August is meant to be best month for sailing - in northern hemisfere almost - here is something appropriate:

Attachment clipper.fbm not found

It's been a long time that naval engineers has tried a commercial solution for the idea of sails applied ( again ) to merchant vessels.
Now, thanks to high price and pollution figures of bunker fuel, somebody is taken it seriously.
Rolls Royce for ex., they run a joint venture with some b9 enterprise to fix a general concept suitable to attire investors...

For the rigging: fractional wings on rotary masts, again the idea comes from the past.
Designed in the '60 by Wilhelm Proelss.
A modern astonishing ship that has used ( and developed ) it, is the Maltese Falcon: have a look on Wikipedia and on Youtube.

Hope all of you enjoy this little contribution.
Jurgen.

P.s.: There's an error in the file: if you try the hydro. data, you must change the draught from 0.3 to 3.00 meters.
It happened I scaled up the model and forgot the change!

Show me your ships! 3 years 7 months ago #3896

• Rurudyne
  • Senior Boarder
It's a Houseboat!

For a while now I've been toying with the idea of a sidewheel yacht with the wheels nestled between stabilizing amas (roughly 10% of displacement) and a somewhat narrow, 7-to-1 LBR, shallow draft hull. In larger boats (say 70' or more) this actually seems to work well, and allows for a huge party deck on top of the main cabin (the roof line for this deck is level to the bow), aft of the pilot house. Going by the DELFTship power estimates, even assuming just under 64% propulsion efficiency between a assumed piddling performing feathering wheel and lackluster diesel-electric, such a boat seem to offer very good economy for a cruising speed of 10 or so knots with some modest dash potential.

Unfortunately I can no more afford a 99' yacht than I can ... well, a LOT of things. Even, sadly, this 39'11" scaled down concept (well, most likely I can't ... pity no one I know is tearing down a century old barn made of native live oak).

You may note that it isn't a paddlewheel but has twin Glen-L style electric drives made from outboard bits. Shown are the props for 15 kW motors, their housings possibly hidden beneath some bench seating. The 10" prop for this power is also the largest that could be put under the boat without resorting to deeper protective skegs. DELFT calculations say this would give me about 10.6 kt max and 9.2 kt cruise (80%), again about 64% efficiency (just because assuming "mediocre" seems a way not to be the-bad-surprised if it ever were built).

I would like to thank J.Sass for the outboard model from which these details were cut and scaled.

Abandoning the paddlewheel for this boat was done because having them with a 5-to-1 LBR main hull (and more supportive amas) and properly wide wheels made the thing look ponderous, though not necessarily unattractive, and would have also added a lot to the cost of construction as well as weight (besides, long ago I decided that for this length and smaller using a quarterwheen trimaran/pontoon arrangement works best in terms of internal layout: the engine bay and head being nestled between the wheels leaving the rest of the cabin open, extending over the wings a few feet, and still managing to keep the profile down a bit).

You may also note that the amas are unattached. This is because I've yet to decide on the style of wing. For a boat like this something industrial, maybe even an exposed painted truss, might look suitable. I'm not really committed on wing style and thus none is shown. Not even to having the amas at all (the program indicates only needing 10 kW motors for the above speeds as a true monohull), truth be told.

EDIT: just realized a mistake with the power assumptions. Previously I'd got in the habit of thinking about the genset end of things and not the motor driving the wheel. Looking at the motor end of things that means their power could be 10% less than stated above. Okay, not a huge difference but at least it allows the resistance calculations to be somewhat rosy and it not matter as much.
Attachments:

Show me your ships! 11 months 2 weeks ago #4918

• Icare
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
After a long while I'm back on this thread with my latest creation... a strange machine.

It's a car body (with five seats) mounted on a motorboat's hull, lifted by hydrofoils and powered by an hydrojet.

No, I didn't plan to build it, not even as a scaled model. But if there's a naval engineer among us, I'd be glad to hear his opinion ;o) :lol:
Attachments:

Show me your ships! 11 months 1 week ago #4927

• cruzmayora
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi everybody, been a while since a post something here, I managed to model the USS Independence (similar not equal) from some pictures and basic dimensions that I found in internet.

Regards

Show me your ships! 11 months 1 week ago #4928

• Icare
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
¡Hola CruzMayora!
:blink:
No veo ningun dibujo. ¿Lo olvidasté o mi navegador internet tiene un problema?

I can't see any picture. Did you forget it or is there something wrong with my internet navigator?

¡Hasta luego!
Icare

Show me your ships! 11 months 1 week ago #4929

• cruzmayora
  • Expert Boarder
No lo pude subir déjame intentarlo de nuevo

Show me your ships! 11 months 1 week ago #4930

• cruzmayora
  • Expert Boarder
LitoralCombatJCM-001.jpg

Sorry somethign is wrong and I can´t figure it out what...
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds